Saturday, November 22, 2008

"You'll Never Know Deer........."

We always have six or eight deer in our neighborhood that travel together all year long. As I was driving down to Walmart to buy a ladder this afternoon (my smoke alarm in the garage has been beeping for two days and I can't reach it - it was either buy a ladder or go stark raving mad) six deer crossed the road in front of me. They are always so beautiful and I never mind stopping to let them pass. All at once I was overwhelmed with sadness - Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving are Buck Day and Doe Day in these here parts. As I choked up I wished them luck and bid them farewell, hoping that I see them again in a couple of weeks. Since taking the job with Wyalusing Schools which celebrate those two days by making them a holiday I have felt guilty about enjoying my two days off and extending my Thanksgiving holiday by two days. Oh well, after this year that won't be a problem for me.

No comments: