Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Mary Day - July 1981




Planning this cruise has brought some memories to light of cruises I have been on in the past. My first cruise was a barefoot cruise in Penobscot Bay off the coast of Maine. I was living in Arizona at the time and Herb and I flew to Maine to go on the cruise. It was one of the best vacations I have ever had and very different from the one I am about to embark on. There were 28 passengers and 5 crew members on board. The boat had no engine and we sailed every day to some remote island or port to enjoy the outdoors.

The Mary Day still sails and I was able to download current pictures, which prove that not much has changed with the Mary Day in 27 years. There were two toilets on board and no bath or shower. As you can see by the pictures our accommodations were less than luxurious. We were given a plastic bowl that we took up to the deck and filled with wash water from a barrel. The food was cooked on a wood stove and the "formal" dinner of the cruise was on a deserted island and consisted of lobster, corn, and rhubarb pie. The corn and lobster were cooked in wash tubs. Herb won the prize for eating the most lobster and I took honors for eating the most rhubarb pie.

We all ate in the galley that you see in the picture and helped with both the cooking and/or the clean up if we chose to. I still remember sitting on deck in the evening and listening to music played by our captain on his concertina and some members of the Rochester Symphony who were on the cruise. We had a different kind of homemade pie every evening and I would rush down to breakfast the next morning because the left over pie was always out on the counter. What great memories!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There ain't nothin' better than pie for breakfast!!! I would have gotten up early for that..especially rhubarb. I must say though that the 2009 cruise sounds my appealing than the 1981 cruise just based on ammenities.

KB said...

This sounds like my kind of cruise. What a cool experience. Thanks for sharing :-)